Taramosalata Without Bread or Potato
1/2 cup of tarama (white tarama recommended)
2 cups of olive oil
the juice of a large lemon
some grated white onion (optional)
some liquid smoke (optional)
Black olives and lemon wedges for garnish
- Place your tarama in a bowl and fill up with enough water to just cover your roe. Allow the tarama to soak in the water for an hour to remove the salty flavour.
- Empty your tarama in a strainer and allow to drain-off for a couple of moments. Now add your strained tarama into your food processor and process on “high” until the roe becomes a light colour, few eggs are visible and in the end, has become a creamy emulsification.
- With the food processor still running on high, slowly add your stream of olive oil. You may add your lemon juice in stages and stop to taste and adjust according to your personal preference.
- The end result of your Taramosalata will be a thick and fluffy mixture that will resemble the consistency of a mayonnaise.
- Place your Taramosalata in a serving dish and garnish with a black olive and some lemon wedges. Serve with pita bread or crusty baguette.
© 2009 – 2021, Peter Minaki. All rights reserved.